top of page
Career and Employment
Once you have obtained your license, you're ready to work!
Your license must be signed and posted in plain view of the public while you provide services at a licensed salon.
When you begin working at a licensed salon establishment or if your work location changes, you must notify the Board within 30 days, per NRS 644A.510.
Update Your Work Location By
• Completing the Licensee Work Location Update online
• Contacting the Board via email
• Contacting the Board via phone
• Visiting either of our office locations
How to Look for a Job
Create an employment portfolio with a collection of photos and documents to reflect your skills, accomplishments, and abilities in your field.
Be prepared to perform a service. This may be included as part of a salon interview.
Only perform a service at your interview if you have obtained your license and have your license with you to display while performing the service.
Be aware of salon policy and salon/employee contracts.
Some salon contracts prohibit you from working at other salon locations and can require you to adhere to a set schedule, dress code, or other policies.
Where to Look for a Job
• Nevada State Board of Cosmetology Facebook job postings
• Nevada State Board of Cosmetology Twitter job postings
• Does the school you attended have a placement program?
• Does the school you attended have a “Job Board” or provide available/current job postings?
• Salon Supply Stores
• Local Salon/Beauty Industry Groups on Social Media
• Local and National Job Sites
Career Opportunities in the Beauty Industry
• Work at a licensed salon establishment as an employee or independent contractor
• Salon Establishment Owner – additional State Board licensing required
• Instructor – additional school hours as a Provisional Instructor or Student Instructor and State Board licensing required
• On-Site Service Provider - additional State Board licensing required (Limited License); limited services allowed
• Product/Sales Representative
• Platform Artist
• Product-Sponsored Stylist
• Practical Exam Rater at a licensed school establishment
• Salon Establishment Manager
• Specialist (Specializing in specialty services; EX: Color Specialist, Texture Service Specialist, etc.)
• Salon Establishment Receptionist/Front Desk Staff (Possible career while enrolled)
• Makeup Artist (Possible career while enrolled) – State Board registration required
• Shampoo Technologist (Possible career while enrolled) – State Board registration required
• Threader (Possible career while enrolled) – State Board registration required
• Hair Braider (Possible career while enrolled) – State Board registration required
Average Salaries & Income*
• Cosmetologist - $28,647
• Hair Designer - $21,216
• Esthetician - $36,275
• Nail Technologist - $34,905
• Instructor - $33,280
• Salon Receptionist/Front Desk Staff - $23,046
• Salon Establishment Manager - $41,468
• Makeup Artist - $24,294
• Sales Representative - $61,720
*Based on statistics from indeed.com, payscale.com, & glassdoor.com.
Click on the Student Resource button to access employment resources.
bottom of page