top of page

Licensing FAQs

Licensing FAQ

If I am licensed in another State, do I still have to take exams in Nevada?

Yes, all reciprocity applicants will be required to pass the Nevada Law exam and any other exams deemed fit by the Board per NRS 644A.460

Licensing FAQ

When do late fees accrue on a lapsed license?

A $20 late fee begins accruing the day after the license has expired and increases by $20 for each month the license is not renewed. (Example: If the license expired on May 1st and you renew the license on May 2nd, a $20 late fee will be applied. If you renew the license on June 2nd, a $40 late fee will be applied.)

Licensing FAQ

Can I renew a license that has been expired for over 4 years?

No, you must complete an Individual Application.

-If you hold an active license in another state, you can apply for Reciprocity and you will be required to pass the Nevada State Law Test.

-If you are not actively licensed in another state, you will be required to pass a theory, practical, and the Nevada State Law Test.

Licensing FAQ

What documents do I need to provide for a name change on my license?

Any of the following documents will be accepted for a name change:

-Copy of a marriage certificate/license
-Copy of divorce papers with last name restored
-Copy of citizenship documents
-Copy of a DMV-issued driver's license or identification card

Licensing FAQ

If my license has been expired for over 4 years, do I need to go back to school to obtain more hours?

No, you are not required to attend school for additional hours. If you are actively licensed in another state, you may be eligible for reciprocity (transferring your license to Nevada). If you do not have an active license in any state, you will be required to complete three (3) tests: a theory, a practical, and a Nevada State Law test in order to reinstate your Nevada license.

Please complete the Individual Application to begin this process.

Licensing FAQ

Can I hold licenses in multiple states?

Yes, you can hold active licenses in multiple states. Through reciprocity, you are using your license from another state as proof that you have completed the required education or training and that you have passed the applicable test(s) that demonstrate that you can safely perform your trade on the public. Please visit our Reciprocity page for more information on transferring to Nevada. There is no “national” license and each individual state’s requirements and processes must be completed for licensure within that particular state.

Licensing FAQ

Can I provide eyelash extension services with a certification of training? Is a certain license required for this service?

A certification is not sufficient to provide eyelash services of any kind. Individuals must be a licensed Cosmetologist or Esthetician in order to perform eyelash extensions in the State of Nevada. Eyelash services are under the scope of practice of a Cosmetologist or Esthetician.

Licensing FAQ

Can I provide microblading services as a cosmetologist or esthetician?

No, microblading is a semi-permanent process that makes eyebrows look thicker and fuller. Microblading is most analogous to tattooing because ink is forced into the skin with a needle during the microblading process. Licensed cosmetologists and estheticians are prohibited (not allowed) to perform any service that affects the body beyond the outermost layers of skin.

Licensing FAQ

Does the state of Nevada offer temporary licenses?

No, the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology does not offer temporary licenses. We do offer fast and efficient services for license mobility from state to state. For more information on transferring your license to Nevada, please visit our Reciprocity page on our website.

Licensing FAQ

How can I apply to become a provider of continuing education?

Please complete the CEU Provider Application. Continuing Education Units are only required to be submitted to the Board by licensed Instructors at the time of renewal.

Licensing FAQ

I renewed my license online. How long until I receive it? Can I come into the office and pick it up?

Online license renewals are processed and mailed within two (2) business days from receipt. Licenses that are renewed online are mailed out form a central office location and are not available for pickup. If you would like to pick up your license, please contact the Board ahead of time to notify us.

Licensing FAQ

I renewed my license for 4 years, do I still need to take the Infection Control Course every 2 years?

No, if a license is renewed for four (4) years then the Infection Control Course does not need to be completed until the license is renewed again, four (4) years later.

bottom of page