top of page

Salon FAQs

Salon FAQ

Can I open a salon in my home?

Yes. Before opening a salon in your home, you will need to check with your local zoning board to ensure that your locality allows for in-home salons. Once you're given approval by the zoning board, you will need to make sure that you're in compliance with NAC 644.375 of the Nevada Administrative Code. If your home salon satisfies NAC 644A.820, you will need to complete a salon application on our website.

Salon FAQ

Can I serve alcohol in my salon?

Yes, the Nevada Board of Cosmetology allows for the sale of food or beverages for immediate consumption. It's the responsibility of the salon owner to make sure that they are in compliance with any federal, state, or local laws concerning the sale or possession of alcohol. You may start your research by contacting the Nevada Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

Salon FAQ

Is my salon required to have a city or state business license?

Yes, a salon establishment is required to have a business license. Please register with the Secretary of State for your Nevada State business license. Check with the city and county to confirm that your salon is in compliance with all licensing requirements

Salon FAQ

Does my individual room/salon suite require its own salon license?

The policy of the Board is that each physical address has one salon license. If you are renting a room within a salon, the salon will hold the establishment license and you would not need to license your room with the Board. If the room is not within an already licensed salon, you will need to obtain a salon license before operating at that location.

Salon FAQ

Do I need to be licensed to open/own a salon?

No. A salon owner does not need to be licensed individually. The salon establishment must be licensed and the establishment must be under the immediate supervision of a licensee qualified to provide the services being rendered.

NRS 644A.625  Supervision by licensed person. 1.  A cosmetological establishment must, at all times, be under the immediate supervision of a person who is licensed in the branch of cosmetology or a combination of branches of cosmetology of any service relating to the practice of cosmetology provided at the cosmetological establishment at the time the service is provided.

Salon FAQ

Are salon licensing fees transferable from one salon location to another? If not, can they be refunded?

No. Licensing fees, including those for salons, are non-transferable and non-refundable. If a salon changes location, name, ownership, or the services offered, a new salon application is required, along with a $215.00 two (2) year license fee or a $415.00 four (4) year license fee.

Salon FAQ

Are pets allowed in a salon establishment?

No, pets or animals are not allowed in a salon at any time.. Per NRS 644A.940 (see below), only service animals or aquatic animals contained in a maintained aquarium are permitted to be present in a salon. For more information on service animals, please review the ADA requirements here:

NRS 644A.940  Unlawful for animal to be on premises of licensed establishment for hair braiding or cosmetological establishment; exceptions.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, it is unlawful for any animal to be on the premises of a licensed establishment for hair braiding or cosmetological establishment.

2.  The provisions of subsection 1 do not apply to:

(a) An aquarium maintained on the premises of a licensed establishment for hair braiding or cosmetological establishment; or

(b) A service animal or service animal in training.

3.  As used in this section:

(a) “Service animal” includes only a dog that has been trained and meets the qualifications set forth in 28 C.F.R. § 36.104, and a miniature horse that has been trained and meets the qualifications set forth in 28 C.F.R. § 36.302.

(b) “Service animal in training” includes only a dog or miniature horse that is being trained for the purposes of 28 C.F.R. § 36.104 or 36.302, as applicable

Salon FAQ

How can I obtain a list of beauty salons licensed in Nevada?

A salon mailing list will be sent via email after completion of the Salon Mailing List Request Form on our website.

Salon FAQ

Are medical spas (spas with a medical professional on staff) exempt from licensure?

No.There is an exemption for people authorized in Nevada to practice medicine, dentistry, osteopathic medicine, chiropractic or podiatry. If a particular person falls into one of the aforementioned categories, that person does not need to hold a license with the Board. However, the exemption is for that particular person and does not extend to anyone else working in the facility. Anyone licensed by the Nevada State Board of Cosmetology who is performing Board regulated services must perform those services in a location licensed by the Board.

For Example: Cosmetologist Jane Doe works at ABC-123 Spa where Doctor Smith, M.D. is on staff. ABC-123 Spa offers basic facials and microdermabrasion which Jane Doe performs. ABC-123 Spa would need a salon establishment license issued by the Board of Cosmetology because Jane Doe is performing cosmetology services and is a licensed cosmetologist.

Salon FAQ

I would like to change one of the following with my salon:

Salon Name
Salon Ownership
Salon Location
Salon Services (Add/Remove)
What do I need to submit to the Board?

You must submit a new Salon Application before completing any of these changes. Name changes, ownership changes, location changes, or service changes require a new application and inspection before a license will be issued to reflect these changes. You can submit a new application on our website or in our offices.

Salon FAQ

My salon license renewal/salon application requires that I enter a NV Business ID Number. Where can I find this information?

The NV Business ID Number is issued from the Secretary of State. This is the number of your Nevada State Business License. All salons must have a NV Business ID number that shows “Active” on the Secretary of State website. If you do not have a Nevada State Business License or do not remember your number, please contact the Secretary of State to obtain the number or apply for a Business License. The NV Business ID Number should start with the letters “NV” with approximately ten (10) subsequent numbers. (Example: NV1234567890) The NV Business ID Number is NOT your social security number or your Tax ID Number (EIN/TIN).

Salon FAQ

Do I need permission from the Board to remodel my salon?

Remodeling is permitted. As long as the salon is not changing its location, name, ownership, or services offered, a new salon application will not be required. If the salon floor plan has changed due to the remodel, please submit a new floor plan to our offices or Please label work stations, treatment rooms, dispensary sink(s), shampoo bowl(s), plumbed pedicure spa(s), and restroom(s) with sink(s) and toilet(s) on the floor plan. Salons should not be open or operating while construction is in progress.

bottom of page